12/9/2019

10 Day Northern California Precipitation Forecast: 10% chance on 12/9, 20% chance on 12/10, 10% chance on 12/11, 20% chance on 12/12, 40% chance on 12/13, 60% chance on 12/14, 10% chance on 12/15, 10% chance on 12/16, 20% chance on 12/17 and 40% chance on 12/18. Northern California ski area summit snow levels ranged between 19 and 73 inches.

 

From CDEC: Precipitation to date for water year 2019-2020 - As of 12/9/2019:

Northern Sierra Precipitation Index: 9.5" - 78% of average for this date

San Joaquin Precipitation Index: 8.4" - 97% of average for this date

Tulare Basin Precipitation Index: 5.6" - 101% of average for this date

From CDEC: Average statewide snow water equivalents as of 12/9/2019:

North: 5.8" - 95% of normal for this date

Central: 7.5" - 115% of normal for this date

South: 6.7" - 142% of normal for this date

Statewide: 6.8" - 116% of normal for this date


River Flows (Current and estimated future flow rates from NOAA's California Nevada River Forecast Center)

Sacramento River (Freeport)

The daily average reported 19,913 cfs on 12/8 and is expected to increase to 23,081 cfs by 12/11 then possibly decrease to 14,962 cfs by 12/14.

Feather River (at Boyd's Landing)

The Feather is currently reporting 3,639 cfs and could decrease to 2,863 cfs by 12/14.

San Joaquin River (near Vernalis)

The San Joaquin is reporting 5,959 cfs and might decrease to 5,545 cfs by 12/14.


Delta Cross Channel Gate Operation

Posted: 11/27/2019

Delta Cross Channel Gates will CLOSE on Sunday December 1, 2019 at approximately 0900 hrs.

Comment: NMFS BO Action IV.1.2 Dec 1 seasonal closure.

Action: During the period between November 1 and June 15, DCC gate operations will be
modified from the proposed action to reduce loss of emigrating salmonids and green
sturgeon. The operating criteria provide for longer periods of gate closures during the
emigration season to reduce direct and indirect mortality of yearling spring-run, winter-run,
and CV steelhead. From December 1 to January 31, the gates will remain closed, except as
operations are allowed.

PLEASE NOTE: GATES MAY NEED TO BE CLOSED WITH
SHORT NOTICE IF A FISHERY CONCERN IS IDENTIFIED.

 

EC and Bromide - Banks Pumping Plant, Jones Pumping Plant, Clifton Court Forebay (EC only), San Joaquin River at Vernalis, Gianelli Pumping Plant, Sacramento River at Hood (EC only)

Precipitation and increased flows from Goodwin dam have decreased EC and bromide levels at Vernalis and Jones PP. The recent precipitation, however, has not affected levels at the other stations. Since this weeks weather forecast shows the chance of minimal precipitation, the expectation is for EC and bromide to remain relatively stable or to decrease slightly.

Banks Daily Average: EC - 269 uS/cm, Br - 0.10 mg/L, 10 Days ago: 234 uS/cm and 0.08 mg/L

Jones Daily Average: EC - 356 uS/cm, Br - 0.12 mg/L, 10 days ago: 433 uS/cm, 0.14 mg/L

Clifton Court Forebay Daily Average: EC - 340 uS/cm, 10 days ago: 370 uS/cm

Vernalis: EC - 369 uS/cm, Br - 0.09 mg/L, 10 days ago: 507 uS/cm and 0.2 mg/L

Gianelli: EC - 269 uS/cm, Br - 0.09 mg/L, 10 days ago: 297 uS/cm and 0.12 mg/L

Hood: EC - 196 uS/cm, 10 days ago: 148 uS/cm


Organic Carbon, TOC and DOC - Banks Pumping Plant, Jones Pumping Plant, San Joaquin River at Vernalis, Gianelli Pumping Plant, Sacramento River at Hood

Levels have increased at Vernalis, Jones and Hood. The increases are due to precipitation runoff which is moving more detritus type material into and down the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers. Banks PP may begin to increase in the near future as pumping, which has been reporting near the 6000 cfs mark for some time, draws more runoff infused water into Clifton Court Forebay. And, depending on pumping at Gianelli, a delayed increase may occur here also.

Banks: TOC = 3.1 mg/L, DOC - 2.8 mg/L. 10 days ago: 2.8, 2.6

Jones: TOC = 4.8 mg/L, DOC - 4.5 mg/L. 10 days ago: 3.4, 3.0

Vernalis: TOC = 5.9 mg/L, DOC = 5.5 mg/L. 10 days ago: 3.6, 3.4

Gianelli: TOC = 3.3 mg/L, DOC = 3.1 mg/L 3 days ago: 3.1, 2.9

Hood: TOC = 4.2 mg/L, DOC = 3.8 mg/L. 10 days ago 2.3, 2.2

 

Daily Average Pumping: 11/29 through 12/8:

Banks....varied between 5,461 cfs and 7,228 cfs. The 12/8 average was 7,118 cfs.

Jones....varied between 1,826 cfs and 3,504 cfs. The 12/8 average was 3,504 cfs.

Gianelli PP....discharge pumping, (moving water from O'Neill Forebay into San Luis Reservoir), varied between 3,723 cfs and 9,050 cfs. The 12/8 average reported 6,732 cfs. Discharge generation, (moving water from San Luis Reservoir into O'Neill Forebay), reported zero cfs over the time period.

O'Neill Pumping Plant....discharge pumping, (moving DMC water into O'Neill Forebay), varied between 1,032 cfs and 3,251 cfs. The 12/8 average reported 2,982 cfs. Discharge generation, ( moving O'Neill Forebay water into the DMC), reported zero cfs over the time period.

Dos Amigos PP....varied between 2,961 cfs and 3,869 cfs. The 12/8 average reported 3,036 cfs.

South Bay PP....varied between 81 cfs and 164 cfs. The 12/8 average reported 81 cfs.

Barker Slough PP....varied between 32 cfs and 69 cfs. The 12/8 average reported 63 cfs.

 

Status of the Temporary Barriers as of December 5, 2019:

This will be the last update until the 2020 season begin in early March.  Thank you for all your help and support.  Happy Holidays!

Middle River Barrier
Mobilization to install the Middle River barrier started on June 27, 2019.  The in-water work started on June 28, 2019 at 8:40AM.  The barrier was closed on July 3, 2019 at 12:15PM.  The flap gates were set to tidal operation on July 3, 2019 at 4:30PM.  The raising of the Middle River crest by an additional foot was completed on July 31, 2019 at 11:30AM.  The notching of the Middle River barrier was completed on September 5, 2019.  Removal of the barrier started on November 21, 2019 and the barrier was breached November 21, 2019 at 8:20 AM.  Completed removal of the barrier was achieved on November 27, 2019.

Old River near Tracy Barrier
Mobilization to install the Old River near Tracy barrier started on July 1, 2019.  The in-water work started on July 2, 2019 at 9:15AM.  The barrier was closed on July 19, 2019 at 2:45PM.  The flap gates were set to tidal operation on July 19, 2019 at 3:00PM.  The notching of the Old River near Tracy Barrier was completed on September 6, 2019.  Removal of the barrier started on October 28, 2019, and the barrier was breached October 28, 2019 at 1:10 PM. Docks and underwater mats were removed on October 30, 2019.  Completed removal of the barrier was achieved on November 11, 2019.

Grant Line Canal Barrier
Mobilization to install the Grant Line Canal barrier started on July 10, 2019.  The in-water work started on July 11, 2019 at 7:30AM.  The boat docks were completed on July 25, 2019 at 3:00PM.  The barrier was fully closed on July 26, 2019 at 3:00PM.  The flaps gates were released to tidal operation on July 26, 2019 at 3:15PM.  The boat ramp was completed on July 29, 2019 at 4:00PM.  The flash-boards at the Grant Line Canal barrier were removed to allow up-migrating salmon.   Removal of the barrier started on November 11, 2019.  Breaching of the barrier was achieved on November 11, 2019 at 9:00 AM.  Docks and underwater mats were removed on November 14, 2019.  Completed removal of the barrier was achieved on November 22, 2019

Head of Old River Barrier
The National Marine Fisheries Service has granted permission to cancel the Spring Head of Old River barrier for 2019 due to high water in the system.  The California Department of Fish and Wildlife has granted permission to cancel the Fall Head of Old River barrier for 2019 due to predicted flows of the tributary rivers and projected cooler weather conditions.

Environmental Compliance
As required by the environmental permits, pre-construction surveys were conducted in advance of construction.  Environmental monitors were present during all phases of construction including the in-water work.  Environmental education was provided to the crew members.  Required discreet turbidity and dissolved oxygen monitoring data was collected during the in-water work phase of the construction.  No environmental issues have been observed thus far.

Water Level Modeling
Modeling was conducted for the simulation period from December 3, 2019 through December 23, 2019.   The modeling results are attached.  DWR will continue to monitor and report water levels and conditions.

Real-time south Delta water level data is available on CDEC at the URL below:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/southdeltaStages.html

Water Level Complaints
In 2019, the first water level complaint of the season was received from South Delta Water Agency on June 26, 2019 indicating problems at low tide for a Middle River diverter just downstream of the Wood Irrigation Company.  Although construction of the Middle River barrier initially alleviated the water level concern on Middle River, water level complaints for Middle River were received on July 10 and July 11.  A water level complaint at Tom Paine Slough was also received from Pescadero Irrigation district on July 10, 2019.  A second water level complaint at Tom Paine Slough received from Pescadero Irrigation district on July 15, 2019 on critical low level and is impacting water deliveries.  On 7/26/19 another water level complaint at Tom Paine Slough received from Pescadero Irrigation district on completely out of water and is impacting deliveries severely.  No new water level complaints were received this week.

We have established an email address, SDWAComplaint@water.ca.gov, to receive and distribute water level complaints to the appropriate DWR staff.  Please use this email address specifically designated for South Delta water level complaints.  In order to help us determine the response and the appropriate follow up, please provide the following information in your water level complaint email: